Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Owens impresses on the mound
He had gone three, five, four and six innings in his previous four starts. In 24 and two-thirds innings, he has allowed 12 hits, struck out 38 and walked 14.
Yes, he's seems to be getting comfortable in Double-AA. By taking batters out of their comfort zones.
"Today, they were fouling off my curve and I was like, 'Why am I throwing a pitch that they're fouling off?' Owens said. "Why don't I throw my changeup that they're swinging through and my fastball that they're making weak contact with? It's kind of reading a team the first time through."
"For him to keep this lineup off balance was pretty impressive," Boles said.
He does it by throwing the fastballs at 90 and the changeups and curves in the high-60s and a little above with a consistent delivery and arm speed, said Boles and Spring.
Added Spring: "I mean, he's seven-feet tall and he throws everything with good arm speed."
"His game makeup is phenomenal," Boles said. "He turns the page, no matter what happens the outing before, good or bad. He's ready to go."
He turned 21 last month and was starring in high school just over two years ago when the Red Sox took him as a sandwich round pick (No. 36 overall) in the 2011 draft out of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, Cal.
"We tried to get him out there, but once you saw him on the mound, you knew he made the right call," Boyce said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $22.3m approved for MTBE assessment plan - 1
- 11th-hour deal in Seabrook Station labor battle - 1
- Seabrook Station labor lockout would draw NRC presence - 5
- No agreement reached in Seabrook Station labor talks - 0
- Seabrook plant close to lockout in union dispute - 53
- Wind-power foes object to forum sites - 10
- Decision on merits of PSNH scrubber goes back to PUC - 1
- Grafton residents glad to be dropped from wind project - 1
- Planned PSNH station closing has Hillsborough concerned - 4
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 1
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed