Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Owens impresses on the mound
He had gone three, five, four and six innings in his previous four starts. In 24 and two-thirds innings, he has allowed 12 hits, struck out 38 and walked 14.
Yes, he's seems to be getting comfortable in Double-AA. By taking batters out of their comfort zones.
"Today, they were fouling off my curve and I was like, 'Why am I throwing a pitch that they're fouling off?' Owens said. "Why don't I throw my changeup that they're swinging through and my fastball that they're making weak contact with? It's kind of reading a team the first time through."
"For him to keep this lineup off balance was pretty impressive," Boles said.
He does it by throwing the fastballs at 90 and the changeups and curves in the high-60s and a little above with a consistent delivery and arm speed, said Boles and Spring.
Added Spring: "I mean, he's seven-feet tall and he throws everything with good arm speed."
"His game makeup is phenomenal," Boles said. "He turns the page, no matter what happens the outing before, good or bad. He's ready to go."
He turned 21 last month and was starring in high school just over two years ago when the Red Sox took him as a sandwich round pick (No. 36 overall) in the 2011 draft out of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, Cal.
"We tried to get him out there, but once you saw him on the mound, you knew he made the right call," Boyce said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
- Vin Sylvia: After Ellsbury: Give the kids a chance - 0
- Penmen follow simple theme - 0
- Last Huddle for Lenahan today - 0
- Monarchs back to work for three-game weekend - 0
- Army captain stops LaMotte in mixed martial arts bout - 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Ayotte tours Dover camping gear firm - 0
- Newton boy badly hurt when struck by SUV while walking - 0
- Police recover stolen SUV investigating burglary - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans