Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Chief: Nashua's uptick in crime is baffling
In 2012, there was one homicide in the Gate City. So far this year, there have been five confirmed homicides in Nashua, in addition to 17 armed robberies.
"When you look at it altogether, it can be alarming," he said. "Looking at all of these events, each one is certainly significant."
There are often highs and lows when it comes to crime in Nashua or other communities, he said, explaining this is obviously a peak for the city — one that he cannot explain.
The police force has an authorized strength of 179 police officers, however there are never 179 officers working the streets because several of them are either in field training or participating in the police academy, he said.
"Clearly, that number exceeds the 179," said Seusing, declining to quote a specific number of officers he would like to add to the force. Even if the commission approves a larger authorized force, the Board of Aldermen would have the final say since it adopts the budget.
Perhaps the most shocking crime this summer was the double homicide of an elderly couple, William and Eleanor Grant of 37 Newbury St. Last week, the Attorney General's Office announced that the Grants' neighbor, Shawn P. Burne, was likely responsible for their murders, however he has since committed suicide.
"That is very difficult, but unfortunately we have no choice in the matter recently," he said.
"Our officers are investigating these cases thoroughly and bringing them to justice," Seusing email@example.com
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483