Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Chief: Nashua's uptick in crime is baffling
In 2012, there was one homicide in the Gate City. So far this year, there have been five confirmed homicides in Nashua, in addition to 17 armed robberies.
"When you look at it altogether, it can be alarming," he said. "Looking at all of these events, each one is certainly significant."
There are often highs and lows when it comes to crime in Nashua or other communities, he said, explaining this is obviously a peak for the city — one that he cannot explain.
The police force has an authorized strength of 179 police officers, however there are never 179 officers working the streets because several of them are either in field training or participating in the police academy, he said.
"Clearly, that number exceeds the 179," said Seusing, declining to quote a specific number of officers he would like to add to the force. Even if the commission approves a larger authorized force, the Board of Aldermen would have the final say since it adopts the budget.
Perhaps the most shocking crime this summer was the double homicide of an elderly couple, William and Eleanor Grant of 37 Newbury St. Last week, the Attorney General's Office announced that the Grants' neighbor, Shawn P. Burne, was likely responsible for their murders, however he has since committed suicide.
"That is very difficult, but unfortunately we have no choice in the matter recently," he said.
"Our officers are investigating these cases thoroughly and bringing them to justice," Seusing firstname.lastname@example.org
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Police recover stolen SUV investigating burglary - 0
- Woman arrested after crash at Dover tolls, facing DWI charge - 0
- Fugitive of the week: Juan Zayas-Diaz - 0
- Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents - 2
- Man turns himself in for Dover burglary warrant - 0
- Police say Laconia man threatened toddler - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Littleton police searching for man who attempted to rob gas station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 6
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
- Ayotte tours Dover camping gear firm - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424