Gilford to spend conservation trust funds for land purchase
The board approved the conservation commission’s request Tuesday night to spend $110,000 from land-use change funds toward the total cost of $210,000 of what is known as the Gage parcel, a 327-acre area in Moulton Valley on the slope of Piper Mountain, according to the commission’s Everett McLaughlin.
It has taken commission officials a decade to get the owners to agree to sell the property, he said.
“We’ve been chasing that land for 10 years, but it’s been worth the wait,” he said. “That land is beautiful.”
Mount Major is on the eastern end of the Belknap Range.
The state owns the Route 11 parking area and the summit, which are part of the 60-acre Mount Major State Forest. But the four parcels of land in between are privately owned.
The groups, working with the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition, are working together to preserve the rest of the Belknap Range’s views, recreational opportunities and wildlife habitats for present and future generations.
If the groups can raise the money and buy them, all four properties are kept open to the public for hiking, hunting, snowmobiling and other recreational activities, McLaughlin said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Hampshire events starting on July 13 - 0
- Family center in Nashua offers workshop, play date - 0
- Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain - 1
- Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here - 0
- Cormac Ashe Toland born in June in Manchester - 0
- July 4th fireworks a reminder of need to protect dogs from noise - 0
- Locals, big names alike praise NH Seacoast's wave culture - 0
- 2 from NH graduate from Air Force training - 0
- Engagement of Currier-Williams - 0
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
NH Legal Perspectives: U.S. Supreme Court says homecare workers not required to pay fee to unions
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox' Holt has All-Star history