Home » NewHampshire.com » Outdoors » Foliage
Gilford to spend conservation trust funds for land purchase
The board approved the conservation commission’s request Tuesday night to spend $110,000 from land-use change funds toward the total cost of $210,000 of what is known as the Gage parcel, a 327-acre area in Moulton Valley on the slope of Piper Mountain, according to the commission’s Everett McLaughlin.
It has taken commission officials a decade to get the owners to agree to sell the property, he said.
“We’ve been chasing that land for 10 years, but it’s been worth the wait,” he said. “That land is beautiful.”
Mount Major is on the eastern end of the Belknap Range.
The state owns the Route 11 parking area and the summit, which are part of the 60-acre Mount Major State Forest. But the four parcels of land in between are privately owned.
The groups, working with the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition, are working together to preserve the rest of the Belknap Range’s views, recreational opportunities and wildlife habitats for present and future generations.
If the groups can raise the money and buy them, all four properties are kept open to the public for hiking, hunting, snowmobiling and other recreational activities, McLaughlin said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Harrigan: A rare appearance by Mr. Outdoor Answer Man - 0
- Annual Snodeo in Stewartstown draws good crowd, many vendors - 0
- NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod - 0
- Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance - 0
- Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: March's arrival brings ideal ice fishing conditions - 0
- High school students want to give the shirts off their backs - 0
- Nashua cadet receives Civil Air Patrol award - 0
- Hooksett teen faces charge of throwing egg at police car - 1
NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod
Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities
Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?