Common Core coming to Manchester classrooms
Superintendent Debra Livingston presented sample curriculum guides at a meeting of the Curriculum and Instruction Committee Tuesday. The guides were produced by city teachers over the summer under the guidance of a consultant hired by the district.
"We have been using a system that teaches a mile long and an inch deep. What Common Core does, it has shifted those ideas to make sure students are understanding at a very deep level," she said.
Members of the committee expressed reservations about approving the curriculum guides, since they were only presented with two examples, for Grade 2 English Language Arts and for Grade 7 Math.
"This would really be a pilot program," said Ward 1 board member Sarah Ambrogi, the chair of the committee.
The opponents of the standards said their research caused them to be very concerned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Federal prosecutors are out of control - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: How offshore oil rigs are helping the environment - 1
- George Will: In Kentucky, a constitutional moment - 3
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 5
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
- NHIAA: Brummett scores 5 for Derryfield - 0
- NHIAA: Souhegan advances in OT - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood