Common Core coming to Manchester classrooms
Superintendent Debra Livingston presented sample curriculum guides at a meeting of the Curriculum and Instruction Committee Tuesday. The guides were produced by city teachers over the summer under the guidance of a consultant hired by the district.
"We have been using a system that teaches a mile long and an inch deep. What Common Core does, it has shifted those ideas to make sure students are understanding at a very deep level," she said.
Members of the committee expressed reservations about approving the curriculum guides, since they were only presented with two examples, for Grade 2 English Language Arts and for Grade 7 Math.
"This would really be a pilot program," said Ward 1 board member Sarah Ambrogi, the chair of the committee.
The opponents of the standards said their research caused them to be very concerned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief