Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Deerfield man may be charged in sale of fatal heroin dose
Joshua Leighton, 31, is currently being held on $100,000 bail stemming from his July 25 arrest for allegedly providing heroin that killed James O’Rourke, 29, of Deerfield.
Court documents indicate that Leighton will likely be indicted on a charge of sale of a controlled drug with death resulting in connection with O’Rourke’s death.
The charge carries a similar penalty to a second-degree murder conviction in New Hampshire. Leighton could face up to life in prison if he is convicted by a jury.
A grand jury indicted Leighton in May for allegedly being in possession of a quantity of heroin on Jan. 10.
Leighton wrote a letter to the woman “instructing her on what to say and requesting that she meet with him so they could make up a story,” an indictment says.
Judge Marguerite Wageling ordered prosecutors last week to make a plea offer to Leighton by Friday. But Leighton will have up to Dec. 5 to decide whether to plead guilty or move forward with a trial. The trial on the earlier set of charges is scheduled for the week of Dec. 16.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 0
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 4
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483