Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Deerfield man may be charged in sale of fatal heroin dose
Joshua Leighton, 31, is currently being held on $100,000 bail stemming from his July 25 arrest for allegedly providing heroin that killed James O’Rourke, 29, of Deerfield.
Court documents indicate that Leighton will likely be indicted on a charge of sale of a controlled drug with death resulting in connection with O’Rourke’s death.
The charge carries a similar penalty to a second-degree murder conviction in New Hampshire. Leighton could face up to life in prison if he is convicted by a jury.
A grand jury indicted Leighton in May for allegedly being in possession of a quantity of heroin on Jan. 10.
Leighton wrote a letter to the woman “instructing her on what to say and requesting that she meet with him so they could make up a story,” an indictment says.
Judge Marguerite Wageling ordered prosecutors last week to make a plea offer to Leighton by Friday. But Leighton will have up to Dec. 5 to decide whether to plead guilty or move forward with a trial. The trial on the earlier set of charges is scheduled for the week of Dec. 16.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- Rochester shooting investigated - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester man suffers head injury trying to break up fight - 0
- Former Derry Town Administrator John Anderson asks judge to dismiss charges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
- Sen. Ayotte vows to fight on after her military sex assault bill passes - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth