Home » News » Public Safety
Francestown police receive thousands from state for traffic enforcement
This year, the police department received $4,471 in traffic enforcement funds, and $5,962 to go after drunk drivers. The grants, given through the state Highway Safety Agency, help augment Bell's $140,000 operating budget by allowing targeted patrols on Francestown's roadways.
The grants are set up to run at specific periods of time and have requirements regarding the days and times the patrols must be operated, said Bell. This round of grants can be used from April until mid-September and Bell has been able to coordinate with surrounding towns, which also received the grants, to create a concentrated police presence that serves as a warning to drivers. The result has been fewer speeders in town, said Bell.
Bell also believes that the economy has had an impact on the number of speeders netted in his small town.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072