Home » News » Public Safety
Francestown police receive thousands from state for traffic enforcement
This year, the police department received $4,471 in traffic enforcement funds, and $5,962 to go after drunk drivers. The grants, given through the state Highway Safety Agency, help augment Bell's $140,000 operating budget by allowing targeted patrols on Francestown's roadways.
The grants are set up to run at specific periods of time and have requirements regarding the days and times the patrols must be operated, said Bell. This round of grants can be used from April until mid-September and Bell has been able to coordinate with surrounding towns, which also received the grants, to create a concentrated police presence that serves as a warning to drivers. The result has been fewer speeders in town, said Bell.
Bell also believes that the economy has had an impact on the number of speeders netted in his small town.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Jacob Brown - 0
- 2 dead, at least 18 injured in NYC building explosion - 1
- Milan voters support Kenney in tight race, elect two new selectmen - 0
- Auburn police contract approved - 0
- Newton selectmen chairman defeated in election - 0
- Candia to look at alternatives to Central High School - 0
- Goffstown rejects $4.5M fire station plan - 0
- Bedford votes down fire substation; $30M for roads approved - 0
NH oil dealer who failed to deliver convicted in Montana of millions in construction fraud
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal