Vermont's only nuclear plant to close in 2014
Vermont Yankee, across the Connecticut River from Hinsdale, N.H., will be closing after more than 40 years in 2014. COURTESY
The decision to shut Vermont's only operating reactor was based on natural gas prices, the high cost of running the single-unit plant and "artificially low" power prices in the region, New Orleans-based Entergy said in a statement Tuesday.
"The plant was no longer financially viable," Entergy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Leo Denault said in a phone interview. "We did everything we could to try and keep this plant open from a financial standpoint. That's why we fought the battles we fought legally."
"We will continue to work with Vermont and our regional and federal partners to prepare for and minimize any impacts to our electric grid, energy costs and reliability in the region," Hassan said in a prepared statement. "We also stand ready to work with our partners to assist displaced workers and to ensure that the closure of the plant protects the health and safety of New Hampshire's citizens.
Bradley Olson of Bloomberg News contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 4
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
- Sox rally in ninth to win - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition