'Historic change in leadership' at state's colleges and universities
Financial pressures, declining enrollments and demographic changes are creating tough, new expectations for senior management in academia, even as the incumbents grow older.
"Nationally, we know that college presidents are older than they have ever been historically," Horgan said. The average age of a college president is now 61, compared to early-50s just 10 years ago.
One of the institutions making the biggest break with tradition is St. Anselm College, which will for the first time since its founding in 1889 by the Benedictine monks have a lay person as president. Steven DiSalvo came through the fundraising pipeline, having worked in the development offices of Fordham University, and was the executive director of the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation. He founded the Hopewell Group, an advisory group for wealth management, before becoming president of Marian University in Wisconsin.
The three largest institutions making a leadership change took a more traditional route, Horgan said.
Anne E. Huot takes over as president of Keene State College after serving as provost and vice president for academic affairs at The College at Brockport, State University of New York.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112