'Historic change in leadership' at state's colleges and universities
Philip Hanlon of Dartmouth is one of seven new chief executives of colleges and universities in New Hampshire who will be in charge as the new academic year begins. (file photo)
Financial pressures, declining enrollments and demographic changes are creating tough, new expectations for senior management in academia, even as the incumbents grow older.
"Nationally, we know that college presidents are older than they have ever been historically," Horgan said. The average age of a college president is now 61, compared to early-50s just 10 years ago.
One of the institutions making the biggest break with tradition is St. Anselm College, which will for the first time since its founding in 1889 by the Benedictine monks have a lay person as president. Steven DiSalvo came through the fundraising pipeline, having worked in the development offices of Fordham University, and was the executive director of the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation. He founded the Hopewell Group, an advisory group for wealth management, before becoming president of Marian University in Wisconsin.
The three largest institutions making a leadership change took a more traditional route, Horgan said.
Anne E. Huot takes over as president of Keene State College after serving as provost and vice president for academic affairs at The College at Brockport, State University of New York.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- David M. Shribman: Today, give thanks to Daniel Webster - 1
- George Will: Thanks for the entertainment, America - 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 13
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins - 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins