'Historic change in leadership' at state's colleges and universities
Philip Hanlon of Dartmouth is one of seven new chief executives of colleges and universities in New Hampshire who will be in charge as the new academic year begins. (file photo)
Financial pressures, declining enrollments and demographic changes are creating tough, new expectations for senior management in academia, even as the incumbents grow older.
"Nationally, we know that college presidents are older than they have ever been historically," Horgan said. The average age of a college president is now 61, compared to early-50s just 10 years ago.
One of the institutions making the biggest break with tradition is St. Anselm College, which will for the first time since its founding in 1889 by the Benedictine monks have a lay person as president. Steven DiSalvo came through the fundraising pipeline, having worked in the development offices of Fordham University, and was the executive director of the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation. He founded the Hopewell Group, an advisory group for wealth management, before becoming president of Marian University in Wisconsin.
The three largest institutions making a leadership change took a more traditional route, Horgan said.
Anne E. Huot takes over as president of Keene State College after serving as provost and vice president for academic affairs at The College at Brockport, State University of New York.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The biggest funeral Manchester had ever seen - 0
- The story begins for the Harrington Family of Manchester - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: Manchester's Elliot Hospital grows, evolves - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: An early challenge for the Elliot Hospital - 2
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: The Elliot Hospital's grand opening - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: The start of Manchester's Elliot Hospital began with a generous gift - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The story of Mary and John Elliot of Manchester - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Murdered, Elinus Morrison is laid to rest in the Valley Cemetery - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: A shocking Confederate raid in Vermont - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs