action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Amber Blackman

Amber Blackman

Dec 4, 2014

Fugitive of the Week Jonathan Benedict


Jonathan E. Benedict

Oct 30, 2014

Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies


Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Home » News » Crime

August 26. 2013 11:52PM

Sentencing date set for man convicted of assaulting officer

Stanley West, 41, of Deerfield is scheduled to be sentenced next month after being convicted of assaulting a town police officer who responded to his home in December. (JAMES A. KIMBLE/FILE PHOTO)

BRENTWOOD — A sentencing date has been set for a Deerfield man who was convicted earlier this month of assaulting a town police officer who came to his home to check on a 911 call.

Stanley West, 41, will learn his punishment following a two-hour hearing on Sept. 30 in Rockingham County Superior Court.

Prosecutors have not yet indicated what kind of punishment they will be recommending.

West faces an enhanced penalty on three of the misdemeanor simple assault convictions because he attacked Deerfield police Officer Roger St. Onge while he was acting in the line of duty, according to prosecutors.

West could be sentenced up to 2-5 years and fined $2,000 on each of the simple assault charges.

Prosecutors argued that West pummeled St. Onge on the night of Dec. 19 after the officer asked if he could come into West’s home to investigate the origin of the 911 call.

Jurors rejected the defense’s argument that West and his wife believed they were being targeted for a home invasion by a man dressed as a town police officer. The jury reached its verdict on Aug. 9.

West’s defense relied on the state’s “use of force” law which allows homeowners to take “reasonable” action to defend their residence. West testified that no one at his home dialed 911 the night St. Onge responded to his house.

West told St. Onge he could not come in the house then pushed him off a front stoop, sat on him and repeatedly punched the officer in the face, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors maintained that West’s actions went beyond the scope of the “use of force” law when he began punching St. Onge repeatedly in the head and then pursued him once the officer broke free and retreated.

The assault came to a halt when West’s wife, Margaret Jane Shultz, fired two warning shots from a handgun at the front of the home. She testified that she could not see her husband fighting with St. Onge. West is currently free on bail.

Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory



 New Hampshire Events Calendar


Upcoming Events