Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Sentencing date set for man convicted of assaulting officer
Stanley West, 41, of Deerfield is scheduled to be sentenced next month after being convicted of assaulting a town police officer who responded to his home in December. (JAMES A. KIMBLE/FILE PHOTO)
Stanley West, 41, will learn his punishment following a two-hour hearing on Sept. 30 in Rockingham County Superior Court.
West faces an enhanced penalty on three of the misdemeanor simple assault convictions because he attacked Deerfield police Officer Roger St. Onge while he was acting in the line of duty, according to prosecutors.
Prosecutors argued that West pummeled St. Onge on the night of Dec. 19 after the officer asked if he could come into West’s home to investigate the origin of the 911 call.
West’s defense relied on the state’s “use of force” law which allows homeowners to take “reasonable” action to defend their residence. West testified that no one at his home dialed 911 the night St. Onge responded to his house.
Prosecutors maintained that West’s actions went beyond the scope of the “use of force” law when he began punching St. Onge repeatedly in the head and then pursued him once the officer broke free and retreated.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested after two-state pursuit facing more charges - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Second arrest made in Portsmouth store robberies - 0
- Probable cause hearings set for pair facing series of drug charges - 0
- Arrested school construction employees back at work in Unity - 0
- Dover man questioned regarding Maine double murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
- Total Votes: 917