Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Sentencing date set for man convicted of assaulting officer
Stanley West, 41, will learn his punishment following a two-hour hearing on Sept. 30 in Rockingham County Superior Court.
West faces an enhanced penalty on three of the misdemeanor simple assault convictions because he attacked Deerfield police Officer Roger St. Onge while he was acting in the line of duty, according to prosecutors.
Prosecutors argued that West pummeled St. Onge on the night of Dec. 19 after the officer asked if he could come into West’s home to investigate the origin of the 911 call.
West’s defense relied on the state’s “use of force” law which allows homeowners to take “reasonable” action to defend their residence. West testified that no one at his home dialed 911 the night St. Onge responded to his house.
Prosecutors maintained that West’s actions went beyond the scope of the “use of force” law when he began punching St. Onge repeatedly in the head and then pursued him once the officer broke free and retreated.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Brothers accused of stealing candy from launderette - 0
- Maine man faces charges for alleged baseball bat beating - 0
- Man holds car thief at bay with gun until police arrive - 0
- Corrections officials may delay mail restrictions - 0
- City logs 2 robberies within 45 minutes - 0
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424