Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fisher Cats' McGuire continues hot streak as NH keeps playoff hopes alive
McGuire, 5-9 before the month began, has gone 4-0 since, including Sunday's impressive outing. He retired the first 18 Reading batters he faced, and Kenny Wilson and Jack Murphy collected three hits apiece to lead New Hampshire past the Fightin' Phils, 7-3, at FirstEnergy Stadium.
New Hampshire scored single runs in the fourth and sixth innings on a pair of sacrifice flies, by Kevin Ahrens and John Tolisano. The Fisher Cats busted it open with a three-spot in the seventh. Ryan Schimpf led off with a double and scored on a triple by Murphy. Lance Zawadzky followed with a sac fly. Wilson followed with a solo homer.
Alan Farina hurled the final 1 1/3 innings for his seventh save.
The Fishers were initially scheduled to face Roy Halladay, on a rehab assignment, on Sunday. But when the Phillies used 11 pitchers in Saturday night's 18-inning, 12-7 win over Arizona — including Sunday's scheduled starter, Tyler Cloyd — Halladay went to Philly on Sunday and pitched (and won).
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ConVal students get a taste of Hollywood - 0
- Manchester school superintendent's contract renewed in secret session - 2
- Salem teachers, school board agree to two-year contract - 1
- Hillside Middle School is state winner in Samsung science contest - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 10
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- MCC students get hands-on experience building Manchester home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings