Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fisher Cats' McGuire continues hot streak as NH keeps playoff hopes alive
McGuire, 5-9 before the month began, has gone 4-0 since, including Sunday's impressive outing. He retired the first 18 Reading batters he faced, and Kenny Wilson and Jack Murphy collected three hits apiece to lead New Hampshire past the Fightin' Phils, 7-3, at FirstEnergy Stadium.
New Hampshire scored single runs in the fourth and sixth innings on a pair of sacrifice flies, by Kevin Ahrens and John Tolisano. The Fisher Cats busted it open with a three-spot in the seventh. Ryan Schimpf led off with a double and scored on a triple by Murphy. Lance Zawadzky followed with a sac fly. Wilson followed with a solo homer.
Alan Farina hurled the final 1 1/3 innings for his seventh save.
The Fishers were initially scheduled to face Roy Halladay, on a rehab assignment, on Sunday. But when the Phillies used 11 pitchers in Saturday night's 18-inning, 12-7 win over Arizona — including Sunday's scheduled starter, Tyler Cloyd — Halladay went to Philly on Sunday and pitched (and won).
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: UNH and Dartmouth set to renew football rivalry - 0
- NH College Notebook: Butcher's retirement will mark the end of an era at KCS - 0
- NH College Notebook: Bedford's Turner starts fast for Quinnipiac women skaters - 0
- NH College Notebook: Former NH runners pace No. 6 Georgetown - 0
- NH College Notebook: St. Anselm, SNHU to battle in nationally televised game - 0
- NH College Notebook: Milford's Andrews collects ACC award - 0
- NH College Notebook: UNH swim team raises funds to help boy battle cancer - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed