Home » News » Public Safety
Sleeping man jolted when RV rolls down hill, lands on Epping race track
A man suffered minor injuries when the RV he was sleeping in rolled down a hill and crashed in Epping Saturday morning. (courtesy/Epping Police)
Police investigate after an RV rolled down a hill and landed on an Epping racetrack. (courtesy/Epping Police)
Gregory Rollins, 64, of 6 Irene Ave., Wareham, Mass., was asleep in the bedroom of a 1997 Winnebago Adventurer when it started to roll near the MX 101 race track around 7:15 a.m., Epping Police Officer Stephen Soares said.
The nearly 40-foot long RV was parked with other campers at the top of a hill with the front end facing the track where a racing event was held Saturday.
The track is located on the property of New England Dragway.
Soares said Rollins, who was working at the racing event and spent Friday night at the track, was sleeping in the bedroom at the back of the motor home. The RV, which Rollins didn't own, traveled 200 to 300 yards down the hill and sideswiped a parked van and a pickup truck along the way. It then jumped 15 to 30 feet over a berm and came to rest in the middle of the track, Soares said.
Police aren't sure how fast the RV was traveling during the wild downhill ride, but, Soares said, "He was going pretty fast."
Rollins became trapped when parts of the bedroom collapsed on top of him, Soares said. Rescuers had to lift a mattress, doors and other debris off Rollins to free him.
Rollins was transported to Exeter Hospital with minor injuries.
The RV is owned by Norman Collins of Abington, Mass., Soares said.
The pickup truck sustained significant damage but was unoccupied. The owner, Shane Forest, 45, of 13 Green Road, Amherst, was registering for the race with his son at the time of the crash.
The van also was unoccupied and received only minor damage when it was struck.
"It could have been very serious," Soares said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree