Home » News » Public Safety
Runaway RV ends up on Epping race track
Epping police investigate after an RV rolled down a hill and ended up on a dirt bike track at New England Dragway Saturday. (Courtesy)
Rollins said he was asleep in the bed in his "birthday suit" and woke up a few seconds after the runaway RV took off down the hill.
"It started rolling faster and faster and faster and I was like, 'Whoever is driving this thing doesn't know what they're doing.' I knew automatically something was wrong and I yelled out, 'Hey, slow down!'" Rollins recalled in a phone interview Sunday from his bed at Exeter Hospital, where he's being treated for an injury to his spleen.
When the camper barreled over a four-foot jump, Rollins knew he was in for the ride of his life.
As he bounced around in the bedroom, Rollins said the camper eventually dropped 12 feet and came to rest on the dirt bike race track.
"It took some time to get me out of there," he said.
While he's in pain, Rollins is trying to keep his spirits up.
"It was pretty sick," he said of the runaway RV.
Deputy Fire Chief Richard Rodier said Rollins became trapped between the wall and the bed and had to be freed by rescue personnel.
The RV is owned by Norman Collins of Abington, Mass. Rollins said he drives the motor home for Collins.
"It could have been very serious," Soares said.
Rollins said he wanted to thank those who rushed to his aid.
"They performed like real professionals and I couldn't ask for anybody to handle me better than they did. They were unbelievable," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads