Home » News » Public Safety
Runaway RV ends up on Epping race track
Epping police investigate after an RV rolled down a hill and ended up on a dirt bike track at New England Dragway Saturday. (Courtesy)
Rollins said he was asleep in the bed in his "birthday suit" and woke up a few seconds after the runaway RV took off down the hill.
"It started rolling faster and faster and faster and I was like, 'Whoever is driving this thing doesn't know what they're doing.' I knew automatically something was wrong and I yelled out, 'Hey, slow down!'" Rollins recalled in a phone interview Sunday from his bed at Exeter Hospital, where he's being treated for an injury to his spleen.
When the camper barreled over a four-foot jump, Rollins knew he was in for the ride of his life.
As he bounced around in the bedroom, Rollins said the camper eventually dropped 12 feet and came to rest on the dirt bike race track.
"It took some time to get me out of there," he said.
While he's in pain, Rollins is trying to keep his spirits up.
"It was pretty sick," he said of the runaway RV.
Deputy Fire Chief Richard Rodier said Rollins became trapped between the wall and the bed and had to be freed by rescue personnel.
The RV is owned by Norman Collins of Abington, Mass. Rollins said he drives the motor home for Collins.
"It could have been very serious," Soares said.
Rollins said he wanted to thank those who rushed to his aid.
"They performed like real professionals and I couldn't ask for anybody to handle me better than they did. They were unbelievable," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate