Home » News » Public Safety
Runaway RV ends up on Epping race track
Epping police investigate after an RV rolled down a hill and ended up on a dirt bike track at New England Dragway Saturday. (Courtesy)
Rollins said he was asleep in the bed in his "birthday suit" and woke up a few seconds after the runaway RV took off down the hill.
"It started rolling faster and faster and faster and I was like, 'Whoever is driving this thing doesn't know what they're doing.' I knew automatically something was wrong and I yelled out, 'Hey, slow down!'" Rollins recalled in a phone interview Sunday from his bed at Exeter Hospital, where he's being treated for an injury to his spleen.
When the camper barreled over a four-foot jump, Rollins knew he was in for the ride of his life.
As he bounced around in the bedroom, Rollins said the camper eventually dropped 12 feet and came to rest on the dirt bike race track.
"It took some time to get me out of there," he said.
While he's in pain, Rollins is trying to keep his spirits up.
"It was pretty sick," he said of the runaway RV.
Deputy Fire Chief Richard Rodier said Rollins became trapped between the wall and the bed and had to be freed by rescue personnel.
The RV is owned by Norman Collins of Abington, Mass. Rollins said he drives the motor home for Collins.
"It could have been very serious," Soares said.
Rollins said he wanted to thank those who rushed to his aid.
"They performed like real professionals and I couldn't ask for anybody to handle me better than they did. They were unbelievable," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072