Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Medicaid hearing to air questions
After this meeting, Chairman Jim Varnum said, the commission should be able to begin drafting its recommendations, which have to be finalized by Oct. 15. Varnum said the committee will call back state officials and hear from other parties as its work on details proceeds.
Hospitals want Medicaid eligibility expanded under the Affordable Care Act. If the state decides to expand eligibility, health care providers - mostly hospitals - will receive $2.4 billion from the federal government over the next seven years.
Groups supporting expansion are also expected to turn out for the meeting, scheduled to run from 1 to 4 p.m.
Morse has lined up support from nearly all the Senate Republicans, who hold a 13-11 edge over Democrats in the body.
The big unknown is what the Democrats will do. Are they willing to cut a deal with a Republican or two to forge an unholy alliance to control Senate leadership?
The Senate has taken a bit of a beating since Senate President Peter Bragdon announced two weeks ago he would become the Local Government Center's new executive director. The controversy grew, and by last Friday, Bragdon had announced he would step down as president.
"With your help we can make a difference," she wrote.
Labor Day Breakfast: Gov. Maggie Hassan and U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen will speak at the New Hampshire AFL-CIO 2013 Labor Breakfast on Sept. 2 at St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Hanover Street, Manchester.
"Working men and women and middle-class families took the brunt of the recent economic recession, and many of the good jobs with living wages we lost during the downturn have not returned to New Hampshire," said NH AFL-CIO President Mark MacKenzie. "We use the tradition of Labor Day to honor the extraordinary contribution that ordinary working people make to New Hampshire's economic growth and the quality of life in our communities."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Gun rights groups taking aim at SB 244 - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Gas tax increase still a political hot potato - 5
- State House Dome: House committee to vote on repealing death penalty - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Place your bets on House casino vote - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Fresh deck for casinos - 14
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Charitable gaming on the table - 3
- Garry Rayno's Statehouse Dome: Diverse group favors death penalty repeal - 2
- Gary Rayno's State House Dome: Lawmakers return Wednesday; House eyes 'good time' for inmates - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Legislature facing hot-button issues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'