Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Medicaid hearing to air questions
After this meeting, Chairman Jim Varnum said, the commission should be able to begin drafting its recommendations, which have to be finalized by Oct. 15. Varnum said the committee will call back state officials and hear from other parties as its work on details proceeds.
Hospitals want Medicaid eligibility expanded under the Affordable Care Act. If the state decides to expand eligibility, health care providers - mostly hospitals - will receive $2.4 billion from the federal government over the next seven years.
Groups supporting expansion are also expected to turn out for the meeting, scheduled to run from 1 to 4 p.m.
Morse has lined up support from nearly all the Senate Republicans, who hold a 13-11 edge over Democrats in the body.
The big unknown is what the Democrats will do. Are they willing to cut a deal with a Republican or two to forge an unholy alliance to control Senate leadership?
The Senate has taken a bit of a beating since Senate President Peter Bragdon announced two weeks ago he would become the Local Government Center's new executive director. The controversy grew, and by last Friday, Bragdon had announced he would step down as president.
"With your help we can make a difference," she wrote.
Labor Day Breakfast: Gov. Maggie Hassan and U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen will speak at the New Hampshire AFL-CIO 2013 Labor Breakfast on Sept. 2 at St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Hanover Street, Manchester.
"Working men and women and middle-class families took the brunt of the recent economic recession, and many of the good jobs with living wages we lost during the downturn have not returned to New Hampshire," said NH AFL-CIO President Mark MacKenzie. "We use the tradition of Labor Day to honor the extraordinary contribution that ordinary working people make to New Hampshire's economic growth and the quality of life in our communities."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Bills to get fresh looks after House-Senate swap - 3
- Garry Rayno's Under the State House Dome: Fuel tax vote slated in Senate - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: 1 down, 2 to go - 2
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: 'Medicaid expansion' ... sweet by any other name? - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Gun rights groups taking aim at SB 244 - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Gas tax increase still a political hot potato - 5
- State House Dome: House committee to vote on repealing death penalty - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Place your bets on House casino vote - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start