Memorial vs. Central, Year 1
When friends turned rivals
Here’s the 1959 Central High football team. Front row (class of 1960): Stan Kowaloski, Bruce Jelley, Ray Belaire, Tom Hopkins, co-captain Lloyd Wells, co-captain Boyd Jajesnica, Andy Dominick, Jr., Gus Giardi, Roy Whalen, Tom Gramatikas. Second row (class of 1961): Bill McKee, Butch Tremblay, Don Stone, Ron Girolomon, John Kapranopoulos, Teddy Ling, Bill Jajesnica, Roland Cantin, Marty Martineau, Mike Kobilarcsik, Ed Wynot. Third row: Walt Rozmus (‘62), Tony Hunkins (‘61), Conrad Gagne (‘61), Bob Bergeron (‘61), Dick Bergeron (‘61), Mo Landry (‘61), Hugh Rostad (‘61), John Olson (‘61), Danny O’Neil (‘62), Rodney Hudoba (‘62), James Psaledas (‘63). Fourth row: Dave Gladu (‘62), Jimmy Dickey (‘62), Cecil Jordan (‘62), Billy Scribner (‘63), Dave Purcell (‘63), Eddie Katz (‘63), Jay Rozmus (‘63), Chuck Hennessey (‘62), Jay Botop (‘62), Paul Martel (student manager). Fifth row: Assistant coach Nicholas Gabardina, head coach James King, assistant coach Walter Tafe. (COURTESY)
One year they were teammates, the next, opponents.
At Central, meanwhile, recalls Mike Kobilarcsik, a captain and two-way starter on the 1960 team, the Little Green had mixed emotions about playing against former teammates who remained close friends.
They got over it, with Rozmus directing Memorial's ground-based attack behind that big offensive line.
Kobilarscik attributes what happened next to teenage bravado. He could have run around the end for the conversion, he recalls, but instead he attempted to run over former teammate Ed "Big Daddy" Wynot. His attempt failed, and Memorial maintained an 8-6 lead.
"Memorial won," Kobilarscik said while recently recounting the game, "and they deserved to."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840