Roger Simon: If only Bob Filner were a movie star
In a state where celebrities are often worshipped, Filner does not resemble a celebrity.
No, Filner is not the sexting type. He is the groping, grabbing, sticking his hand down the bra, licking the face, sticking his tongue down the throat type. Allegedly. Allegedly in allegations made by 18 women.
Filner admits he "failed to fully respect the women who work for me and with me," but has refused to resign.
Back in 2003, gubernatorial candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger was accused by 15 women of groping them or otherwise touching them sexually against their will.
Before the election, Jay Leno said in one of his monologues, "You've got Arnold, who groped a few women, or Davis, who screwed the whole state."
Then Oprah had both Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, on her show, and Shriver told everyone to ignore the accusations against her husband. "I know the man I'm married to," she told Oprah.
In 2011, after finding out Schwarzenegger had fathered a child with the family housekeeper, Shriver took off her wedding ring, gathered up her children, left her home and filed for divorce.
This is the kind of celebrity status that Bob Filner lacks. And it must bother him. He says he is misunderstood. "I'm a hugger," he says.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 12
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 1
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 1
- Another View -- Max Boot: Six steps to a better strategy for defeating ISIS - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Wait, when did we finish talking about Gruber? - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: The climate pact swindle - 0
- Roger Simon: So why don't the media report better news? - 0
- George Will: Required reading on a Rockefeller - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 4
- One killed in Wednesday morning crash on I-89 in Warner - 0
- Police say Franklin man and woman facing charge of attempted prostitution of a minor - 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 4
- On being American: A point for reflection - 1
- Rymes takes over for Fuller, deliveries start Wednesday - 1
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection