Home » News » Public Safety
Bacteria closes UNH Outdoor Pool temporarily
UNH announced on Thursday the pool would be closed immediately after the results of a required weekly bacteria test indicated that coliform was present.
The facility will remain closed until a future test shows the water meets the standard of less than one total coliform per 100 milliliters of water in a future test, per standard protocol.
The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services mandates that the 75-year-old pool be tested weekly for total coliform bacteria and E.coli bacteria due to the slow water circulation in the 43,000 square foot pool.
Water circulation remains one of the university?s primary concerns as they work with the town to come up with a plan for the future of the pool. Safety concerns have led the university to considering closing the WPA-era pool and replacing it with a smaller, modern outdoor pool.
Residents in Durham have pushed back against this proposal and have organized a group to try and preserve the pool as is.
A public meeting to discuss the pool is being organized by the university and is scheduled to be held sometime this fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
- State police: Vermont man drove 111 mph on I-89 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 1
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw