All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Barn destroyed in Claremont fire

CLAREMONT — A burning pit too close to a barn caused a fire that destroyed a barn, small outbuilding and pickup truck at 456 Chestnut St., according to Fire Capt. Jeff Morin.

Morin said the fire was reported shortly before 6 p.m. Friday and was threatening to spread to neighboring properties. He said the property owner, Michael Cooke, did not have a burning permit for the fire pit he used to burn debris.

He said firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to other properties and had it under control by 6:30 p.m. He estimated the fire caused about $60,000 worth of damage.


To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:

  • Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
  • Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
  • Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
  • Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
  • Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
  • If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.

Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.

Be the first to comment.

Post a comment

You must sign in before you can post comments. If you are experiencing issues with your account please e-mail

Four hurt in head-on crash in Chester

A two-car head-on collision on Derry Road in Chester on Monday night sent four people to Parkland Medical Center - including one driver who then had...