Name change doesn't help Mount Washington College
Mount Washington campuses in Portsmouth and Concord will be shut down by the end of the year, according to Kaplan spokesperson Steven White, resulting in the loss of about 45 jobs across all five campuses and the dislocation of about 380 students enrolled in the Seacoast and state capital locations.
White said the closures were made necessary by declining enrollment at the college, which is best known for its business education programs. In the past year, the five-campus operation has seen a drop in the student population of about 20 percent, from 1,850 to 1,450, White said.
The New York Times reported on July 25 that enrollment at post-secondary institutions nationwide is declining after years of growth."College enrollment fell 2 percent in 2012-13, the first significant decline since the 1990s, but nearly all of that drop hit for-profit and community colleges," the newspaper reported. "The college-age population is dropping after more than a decade of sharp growth, and many adults who opted out of a forbidding job market and went back to school during the recession have been drawn back to work by the economic recovery."
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112