Manchester school board waits on Hooksett
The Manchester board approved the agreement partly out of the recognition that a large number of Hooksett parents had already sought to pull their kids from the district. An estimated 60 to 70 students had sought alternative placements this year, close to half the incoming class. It's not clear at this point how many Hooksett students will be part of the freshmen class at Manchester high schools.
Other board members echoed the view of Mayor Ted Gatsas, that many parents in the town feel a loyalty to Manchester.
Other board members, however, have raised concerns about the impact of Hooksett leaving, particularly the lost revenue. If all of Hooksett's students leave, it could cost the district $500,000 to a $1 million a year in tuition.
"To try to force (Hooksett) to stay, I don't know what good that would've been," he said. "We would've been spending hundreds of thousands on attorneys fees. At this point, I'd rather spend the money on the schools."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School group favors opening JROTC at Nashua high school - 0
- Athletics Dept. employee at UNH fired over 'invasion of privacy' - 0
- Loeb School spring classes include travel writing - 0
- Windham ready to open a 'Little Shop of Horrors' - 0
- Salem to decide fate of $75m school proposal - 0
- Allenstown parents mobilize to stave off $1 million school budget cut - 0
- Busy week for voters in Hollis, Brookline - 0
- Nashua to debate school spending - 0
- Test scores tell tale of one city, several towns - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Babe Ruth baseball signups set in Manchester
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief