Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots' regulars can't do much against Lions in 40-9 preseason thumping
With most of the starters on both offense and defense playing into the third quarter of the third preseason game at Detroit Thursday night, the Patriots looked out of sorts on both sides of the ball and fell, 40-9.
Another nice throw over the middle to rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld had the Patriots deep in the red zone, but Sudfeld coughed up the ball when he was hit by Glover Quin.
Brady also threw an interception in the first half. Rookie Aaron Dobson got bumped coming off the line of scrimmage, throwing off the timing and Brady threw into triple-coverage, where Chris Houston snagged the pick.
Meanwhile on defense, the Patriots starters had a few more positives but were uneven overall.
But Detroit was able to put together drives for a touchdown and field goal. The Lions also managed to work down the field with less than a minute remaining in the half to add another field goal for the 16-3 intermission score.
The Patriots finally got into the end zone with 32 seconds left in the game, when backup Ryan Mallett, who played the entire second half, hit running back James Develin with a 9-yard touchdown pass.
Third-string QB Tim Tebow did not play Thursday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch