Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Poor Giants' defense leads to Red Sox win
Aside from Middlebrooks' homer that opened the scoring in the second inning, the Boston runs off Zito were greatly aided by the Giants' defense.
The Giants, who went 0-for-15 with runners in scoring position in the first two games of the series, never advanced a runner past first base against Doubront other than when Arias touched them all on his first homer of the season.
Right-hander Koji Uehara pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the Red Sox.
NOTES: Ellsbury's first hit, a double on the game's third pitch, continued his streak of having hit safely in all 15 of Boston's interleague matchups this season. ... Red Sox 1B David Ortiz left the game in the fifth inning because of lower-back spasms. ... The Giants got good news on two injury fronts. An MRI on 3B Pablo Sandoval's sore lower back revealed no structural damage. He sat out his second consecutive game nonetheless. X-rays on C Hector Sanchez's left forearm were negative and he caught the final two innings Wednesday. He was hit in the arm by a LHP Franklin Morales fastball in the Giants' ninth-inning rally Tuesday night.
... The home run off Zito was the 16th he's allowed this season. The Giants now have three pitchers among the top 20 in the NL in home runs allowed: RHP Matt Cain (sixth with 19), RHP Tim Lincecum (tied for 17th with 16) and Zito.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1