Jonah Goldberg: Run, Joe Biden, run!
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the vice president's inner circle is swabbing the decks, battening down the hatches and hoisting the mainsails for USS Bidenpalooza 2016. "Everyone involved in his world," a Democratic official told the Journal, "is engaged in taking all the steps that make sense to prepare for a run, if he does run." Biden's people are apparently willing to go for it even if the allegedly inevitable nominee, Hillary Clinton, decides to run.
It's a difficult question to boil down to a single variable, given the swirling maelstrom of egos, agendas and issues at play. Still, one answer does seem to cover the waterfront: because ours is a just and generous God. From my admittedly selfish perspective, a Biden candidacy would be great for everybody — and by everybody I mean people who would like to see the Democratic Party descend into a chaotic food fight.
The case for Biden also often boils down to entitlement: He's been around a long time; he's the vice president so it's his turn; what else are you gonna do with him?
Jonah Goldberg is the author of "The Tyranny of Cliches," now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by email at email@example.com, or via Twitter @JonahNRO.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1