Jonah Goldberg: Run, Joe Biden, run!
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the vice president's inner circle is swabbing the decks, battening down the hatches and hoisting the mainsails for USS Bidenpalooza 2016. "Everyone involved in his world," a Democratic official told the Journal, "is engaged in taking all the steps that make sense to prepare for a run, if he does run." Biden's people are apparently willing to go for it even if the allegedly inevitable nominee, Hillary Clinton, decides to run.
It's a difficult question to boil down to a single variable, given the swirling maelstrom of egos, agendas and issues at play. Still, one answer does seem to cover the waterfront: because ours is a just and generous God. From my admittedly selfish perspective, a Biden candidacy would be great for everybody — and by everybody I mean people who would like to see the Democratic Party descend into a chaotic food fight.
The case for Biden also often boils down to entitlement: He's been around a long time; he's the vice president so it's his turn; what else are you gonna do with him?
Jonah Goldberg is the author of "The Tyranny of Cliches," now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @JonahNRO.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 28
- Veterans Count, for less: Feds shred a program that works - 3
- Salem's town clown: Nothing is the public's business - 3
- Havenstein's Pledge: It's a sound business plan - 2
- 'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH - 31
- Personhood Controversial? Really? - 33
- Pocket Constitutions: Windham's non-scandal - 16
- Obama's escalation: In Iraq, too broad a fight - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Body of woman found under Claremont bridge - 0
- Woman sentenced to a year in jail for crash - 0
- New tech course open to students in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: Nashua man accused of beating girlfriend - 0
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man faces charge of simple assault against son’s mother - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford, Concord deadlock - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Central shows title mettle - 0
- Dave D'onofrio Patriots Notebook: Don't expect Patriots to fix this - 0
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
By the horn: Feds owe NH man an explanation