Jonah Goldberg: Run, Joe Biden, run!
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the vice president's inner circle is swabbing the decks, battening down the hatches and hoisting the mainsails for USS Bidenpalooza 2016. "Everyone involved in his world," a Democratic official told the Journal, "is engaged in taking all the steps that make sense to prepare for a run, if he does run." Biden's people are apparently willing to go for it even if the allegedly inevitable nominee, Hillary Clinton, decides to run.
It's a difficult question to boil down to a single variable, given the swirling maelstrom of egos, agendas and issues at play. Still, one answer does seem to cover the waterfront: because ours is a just and generous God. From my admittedly selfish perspective, a Biden candidacy would be great for everybody — and by everybody I mean people who would like to see the Democratic Party descend into a chaotic food fight.
The case for Biden also often boils down to entitlement: He's been around a long time; he's the vice president so it's his turn; what else are you gonna do with him?
Jonah Goldberg is the author of "The Tyranny of Cliches," now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @JonahNRO.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 6
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 12
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 42
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 38
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 21
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 3
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 3
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Palker hat trick paces Bedford triumph - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Furious Celtics' rally falls short - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse
Police look for Laconia sub shop robber