Home » News » Public Safety
Gun threat at Manchester library prompts call to police
No weapon was shown and no one was hurt in the incident that happened about noon at the 405 Pine St. main library, van Zanten said. The man left on his own with few, if any, other patrons aware of what happened.
Officers arrived to find the man driving away in a car, which they pulled over about four blocks away.
Police did not charge the man because a verbal threat not witnessed by police is a misdemeanor-level offense, Tessier said. Should police press charges, they would obtain an arrest warrant, she said.
The patron was upset "because he could not make a transaction without his library card," Tessier said.
"I don't think this was aimed at any particular staff member," she added.
The patron was ordered to not trespass at either the main library or the West Side branch, van Zanten said.
"My staff is well trained in security measures and they did exactly what they were supposed to do...I'm very proud of them," van Zanten said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
LNG plant put 'on hold'