Home » News » Public Safety
Gun threat at Manchester library prompts call to police
No weapon was shown and no one was hurt in the incident that happened about noon at the 405 Pine St. main library, van Zanten said. The man left on his own with few, if any, other patrons aware of what happened.
Officers arrived to find the man driving away in a car, which they pulled over about four blocks away.
Police did not charge the man because a verbal threat not witnessed by police is a misdemeanor-level offense, Tessier said. Should police press charges, they would obtain an arrest warrant, she said.
The patron was upset "because he could not make a transaction without his library card," Tessier said.
"I don't think this was aimed at any particular staff member," she added.
The patron was ordered to not trespass at either the main library or the West Side branch, van Zanten said.
"My staff is well trained in security measures and they did exactly what they were supposed to do...I'm very proud of them," van Zanten said.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire