Nashua mayor says trees can't be saved
"I think people were stunned with the trees," said Commissioner Tracy Pappas. She said a formal vote should have been made by the board on whether to cut down the mature trees for the downtown sidewalk project.
Despite a petition by Alderman Dan Moriarty to save the remaining mature trees on Main Street, Lozeau said Tuesday that, "it can't be done."
"I don't like it either," she said.
Still, Pappas says that some of the trees probably could have been saved.
"It wasn't just surface damage," she said.
Some of the trees were diseased with weak spots and at the end of their life cycle, she said.
Many of the problematic tree roots have been photographed, and Lozeau said she is in the process of making those pictures public so that the citizens can fully understand the extent of damage that was occurring underneath the sidewalks.
"You need to finish the project — get it done. Let the trees mature," he said of the new trees that are being planted to replace those that have already been cut down, and those that still need to be removed.
Lozeau said Nashua is a tree city, USA, and an average of 200 trees are planted each year in the Gate City.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads