'Sanctuary: A Bird Masque' gives wings to 100 years of environmental conservation in Granite State
This weekend the national parks of Vermont and New Hampshire pay tribute to that pivotal production, which took place at the opening of the Meridan Bird Sanctuary in Meriden in 1913 and drew President Woodrow Wilson.
After its 1913 performance, "Sanctuary" was performed with author and Cornish Colonist Percy MacKaye's encouragement by amateur theater troupes across the country. Its popularity arose not only from its colorful bird costumes and lively verse dialogue, but from an underlying social and environmental message about the rampant hunting of wild birds for their feathers, which were used by the fashion industry in popular women's hats.
"Vermont and New Hampshire are synonymous with natural beauty and defense of the environment," Fitzpatrick said. "Ecological goals are very important to this region."
"I think it's important for Americans to know about our cultural history," said Meyers, who also is director of Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site's long-running concert series.
In preparing the music, Meyers discovered manuscripts in the Dartmouth College archives of the four songs written for the 1913 production by Cornish composer Frederic Shepherd Converse. Meyers also arranged incidental music using other contemporary pieces composed by musicians associated with the Cornish Colony.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donations pour in for Cornish couple injured in Florida - 0
- KAPAP master offers a cerebral approach to martial arts in Londonderry - 0
- New SAU 19 superintendent settling in to new post - 0
- Pilots from around the country enjoy Alton Bay ice - 0
- Dover woman to hike Appalachian Trail in style - 0
- New Hampshire Senior News in Brief - 0
- Seniors Count-Nashua workshop tackles forgetfulness - 0
- NH native leads field in Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska - 0
- New Hampshire syrup king, author make a sweet pair - 0
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Craig Ferguson
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus