Young UNH defense looks to step up
"Jared's spot falls on me and some other guys," McCann said on Tuesday after practice. "Matt Kaplan does a great job of working hard every day. Julian Turner and Rashid Armand are working hard and getting better every day."
Junior Shane McNeely, sophomore Akil Anderson and redshirt freshman DeVaughn Chollette are three of the key guys at linebacker.
He was UNH's first Buck Buchanan Award winner as the best defensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision in 2011 and finished with 460 career tackles, topping the record of 434 set by Steve Doig from 1978-81.
Test results came in on Tuesday.
"He tore his ACL and he's probably done for the season," said coach Sean McDonnell. "I'm real disappointed for him. He worked extremely hard in the offseason and he made great strides last spring. He was a very good complement to Cody Muller and Jay Colbert at defensive end."
UNH will look to improve on its scoring numbers of 34.1 points a game from last year. That was second in the Colonial Athletic Association to the 45.2 of Old Dominion, which has moved out of the CAA and up to the Football Bowl Subdivision.
He had 84 catches, the fourth-best single-season total in history, and 1,059 yards, which was sixth-best. He caught nine TD passes.
Junior Nico Steriti had nine rushing touchdowns and one via pass.
THE WOMEN'S SOCCER TEAM gets the athletic year started this weekend at the TD Bank Classic in Burlington, Vt. The Wildcats play Colgate on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and face Sacred Heart on Sunday at 11 a.m.
THE men's and women's basketball teams have announced the non-America East portion of their schedules for 2013-14.
Both teams are scheduled to open their seasons at home on Nov. 9, the men against Suffolk and the women against Worcester State. Times for the games will be announced later.
email@example.com On Twitter: @AllenLessels
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Public Service seeks rate hike; blames energy costs - 4
- NRC to address concrete degradation at Seabrook nuclear plant - 0
- Maine environmental groups clash over wind power - 0
- 2008 ice storm left thousands powerless, changed the way NH prepares - 1
- Council considers attorney to serve on PUC - 0
- Warner officials research solar energy project - 0
- $22.3m approved for MTBE assessment plan - 1
- 11th-hour deal in Seabrook Station labor battle - 1
- Seabrook Station labor lockout would draw NRC presence - 5
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840