Deroy Murdock: Where is the GOP alternative to Obamacare?
"At least they used to say, 'Well, we're going to replace it with something better,'" Obama said. "There's not even a pretense now that they're going to replace it with something better."
• Create a robust market in which individuals — not bosses or politicians — can choose to own and control portable health plans.
• Shift tax-deductibility of health premiums from employers to employees, to help workers purchase the coverage that they — not CEOs or senators — prefer.
• Free Americans to open voluntary, tax-free Health Savings Accounts from which they can finance over-the-counter drugs, routine medical care, and catastrophic insurance for severe ailments.
• Reform the medical-malpractice system, which propels health costs skyward.
• Limit federal involvement to supplying health-insurance subsidies to those remaining Americans who cannot care for themselves nor find relief through civil society, local and state government, or the initiatives outlined above. Rather than ruin medicine for 316 million people, government should assist the tough cases who cannot secure help elsewhere. Instead of disastrous micromanagement, Washington simply should offer direct cash payments to help the truly needy and infirm buy private health plans that satisfy their needs.
When even the Big Government workers who would run Obamacare reject it, the time has come to dispatch this smoldering wreck to the scrap yard.But before the Congressional GOP can expect the American public to climb aboard the medical bullet train that they envision, Republicans themselves need to embrace its blueprints.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child