Home » News » Public Safety
Wallis Sands closed after possible shark sighting
Amy Bassett, spokesman for the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said the assistant manager at the beach spotted what he believes to be an eight-foot shark following a school of stripers in about four feet of water off the beach.
The waters at Wallis Sands were evacuated before 3 p.m. and Bassett said water access is being prohibited until at least Wednesday.
Everyone else along the coast is also on heightened alert, especially down at Hampton Beach.
"Our lifeguards are in the tower and in the chairs making sure there is nothing out there," Bassett said.
The U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to help look for the possible shark to confirm it.
"If it is in the area, then we will have an even more heightened alert and make sure we are paying attention and making those calls if we will open again tomorrow. If it is a shark and it stays in the area, obviously we'll reassess our plan in the morning," Bassett said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 10
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax