Home » News » Public Safety
Wallis Sands closed after possible shark sighting
Amy Bassett, spokesman for the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said the assistant manager at the beach spotted what he believes to be an eight-foot shark following a school of stripers in about four feet of water off the beach.
The waters at Wallis Sands were evacuated before 3 p.m. and Bassett said water access is being prohibited until at least Wednesday.
Everyone else along the coast is also on heightened alert, especially down at Hampton Beach.
"Our lifeguards are in the tower and in the chairs making sure there is nothing out there," Bassett said.
The U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to help look for the possible shark to confirm it.
"If it is in the area, then we will have an even more heightened alert and make sure we are paying attention and making those calls if we will open again tomorrow. If it is a shark and it stays in the area, obviously we'll reassess our plan in the morning," Bassett said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Child Advocacy Centers offer safe place for abused to begin healing - 0
- Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire - 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'