Home » News » Public Safety
Wallis Sands closed after possible shark sighting
Amy Bassett, spokesman for the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said the assistant manager at the beach spotted what he believes to be an eight-foot shark following a school of stripers in about four feet of water off the beach.
The waters at Wallis Sands were evacuated before 3 p.m. and Bassett said water access is being prohibited until at least Wednesday.
Everyone else along the coast is also on heightened alert, especially down at Hampton Beach.
"Our lifeguards are in the tower and in the chairs making sure there is nothing out there," Bassett said.
The U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to help look for the possible shark to confirm it.
"If it is in the area, then we will have an even more heightened alert and make sure we are paying attention and making those calls if we will open again tomorrow. If it is a shark and it stays in the area, obviously we'll reassess our plan in the morning," Bassett said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms