Home » News » Public Safety
Updated: Two injured in Route 93 accident in Sanbornton
The accident occurred in the northbound lane at mile marker 65 and was reported at 4:11 p.m. Motorists were detoured from the highway onto Route 132 north to New Hampton until the road was cleared at about 5:30 p.m.
Two DHART helicopters landed on the northbound lane of Interstate 93 late Tuesday afternoon to carry away a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man with life-threatening injuries after an apparent single-car accident, said Sanbornton Fire Chief Paul Dexter.
Both were in serious condition, Dexter said, as both suffered severe head and internal injuries. Neither of them were wearing seat belts, he said.
Dexter said the car, a four-door compact sedan, rolled over several times in the northbound lane near mile marker 65 for an as-yet undetermined reason, and was found by rescue crews in the middle of the highway. No other cars were involved, he said.
The male victim driving the car was not pinned inside, but needed to be extracted and had serious injuries to his head and abdomen, he said.
The woman, who potentially had the more serious injuries, was ejected from the car and landed a short distance from the car on the highway pavement, he said.
"She suffered multiple injuries to the right side of her body, including some significant road rash," Dexter said.
Both were awake and talking at the scene. "That's a positive sign, but you never know with these things how they'll turn out," Dexter said.
Sanbornton police and rescue crews were aided at the scene by fire departments from New Hampton and Tilton-Northfield. State police are investigating the crash, Dexter said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Fire damages interior of home on Bypass 28 in Derry - 0
- He helps make the Londonderry police force stronger - 0
- Hampton Beach Fire makes new home official - 0
- Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze - 0
- Mass. man rescued from Mt. Haystack in Franconia - 0
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 1
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072