Home » News » Public Safety
Updated: Two injured in Route 93 accident in Sanbornton
The accident occurred in the northbound lane at mile marker 65 and was reported at 4:11 p.m. Motorists were detoured from the highway onto Route 132 north to New Hampton until the road was cleared at about 5:30 p.m.
Two DHART helicopters landed on the northbound lane of Interstate 93 late Tuesday afternoon to carry away a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man with life-threatening injuries after an apparent single-car accident, said Sanbornton Fire Chief Paul Dexter.
Both were in serious condition, Dexter said, as both suffered severe head and internal injuries. Neither of them were wearing seat belts, he said.
Dexter said the car, a four-door compact sedan, rolled over several times in the northbound lane near mile marker 65 for an as-yet undetermined reason, and was found by rescue crews in the middle of the highway. No other cars were involved, he said.
The male victim driving the car was not pinned inside, but needed to be extracted and had serious injuries to his head and abdomen, he said.
The woman, who potentially had the more serious injuries, was ejected from the car and landed a short distance from the car on the highway pavement, he said.
"She suffered multiple injuries to the right side of her body, including some significant road rash," Dexter said.
Both were awake and talking at the scene. "That's a positive sign, but you never know with these things how they'll turn out," Dexter said.
Sanbornton police and rescue crews were aided at the scene by fire departments from New Hampton and Tilton-Northfield. State police are investigating the crash, Dexter said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'