Home » News » Public Safety
Updated: Two injured in Route 93 accident in Sanbornton
The accident occurred in the northbound lane at mile marker 65 and was reported at 4:11 p.m. Motorists were detoured from the highway onto Route 132 north to New Hampton until the road was cleared at about 5:30 p.m.
Two DHART helicopters landed on the northbound lane of Interstate 93 late Tuesday afternoon to carry away a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man with life-threatening injuries after an apparent single-car accident, said Sanbornton Fire Chief Paul Dexter.
Both were in serious condition, Dexter said, as both suffered severe head and internal injuries. Neither of them were wearing seat belts, he said.
Dexter said the car, a four-door compact sedan, rolled over several times in the northbound lane near mile marker 65 for an as-yet undetermined reason, and was found by rescue crews in the middle of the highway. No other cars were involved, he said.
The male victim driving the car was not pinned inside, but needed to be extracted and had serious injuries to his head and abdomen, he said.
The woman, who potentially had the more serious injuries, was ejected from the car and landed a short distance from the car on the highway pavement, he said.
"She suffered multiple injuries to the right side of her body, including some significant road rash," Dexter said.
Both were awake and talking at the scene. "That's a positive sign, but you never know with these things how they'll turn out," Dexter said.
Sanbornton police and rescue crews were aided at the scene by fire departments from New Hampton and Tilton-Northfield. State police are investigating the crash, Dexter said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair rescues dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- Police dog Mingo is in even better hands - 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 1
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua