Home » News » Public Safety
Updated: Two injured in Route 93 accident in Sanbornton
The accident occurred in the northbound lane at mile marker 65 and was reported at 4:11 p.m. Motorists were detoured from the highway onto Route 132 north to New Hampton until the road was cleared at about 5:30 p.m.
Two DHART helicopters landed on the northbound lane of Interstate 93 late Tuesday afternoon to carry away a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man with life-threatening injuries after an apparent single-car accident, said Sanbornton Fire Chief Paul Dexter.
Both were in serious condition, Dexter said, as both suffered severe head and internal injuries. Neither of them were wearing seat belts, he said.
Dexter said the car, a four-door compact sedan, rolled over several times in the northbound lane near mile marker 65 for an as-yet undetermined reason, and was found by rescue crews in the middle of the highway. No other cars were involved, he said.
The male victim driving the car was not pinned inside, but needed to be extracted and had serious injuries to his head and abdomen, he said.
The woman, who potentially had the more serious injuries, was ejected from the car and landed a short distance from the car on the highway pavement, he said.
"She suffered multiple injuries to the right side of her body, including some significant road rash," Dexter said.
Both were awake and talking at the scene. "That's a positive sign, but you never know with these things how they'll turn out," Dexter said.
Sanbornton police and rescue crews were aided at the scene by fire departments from New Hampton and Tilton-Northfield. State police are investigating the crash, Dexter said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Cause of $1.4 million house fire in Plainfield remains unknown - 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Woman sentenced to a year in jail for crash - 0
- New tech course open to students in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: Nashua man accused of beating girlfriend - 0
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man faces charge of simple assault against son’s mother - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford, Concord deadlock - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Central shows title mettle - 0
- Dave D'onofrio Patriots Notebook: Don't expect Patriots to fix this - 0
- They're all about that bass fishing - 0
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
By the horn: Feds owe NH man an explanation